Tuesday 11 January 2011

Cups of tea.

It is amazing how much tea we drink here. When we have a break, we have a cup of tea. Or coffee. That's just what happens. When we have our lunch break, we all head off to Sainsburys and buy a tasteless salad (I can never 'taste the difference')or grab a panini from the posh coffee shop around the corner. That is just what happens. And I'm always jealous of Siobhan's gourmet masterpieces as I sit with my Brunch triple selection Sandwich and a pork pie. But that's another story.

Routine is an important part of the rehearsal process but alongside that there is an emormous amount of flexibility involved with putting on a play. It's funny how these two contrasting things work alongside each other so comfortably and create the process known as rehearsal. For instance, all the actors (and I mean all the actors) are open, accepting of other people's views of character or script and above all flexible whilst Meg just about maintains routine as Alastair becomes more and more engrossed in this complex and passionate script.

So when I sit quietly in a corner watching rehearsals with a notepad, a pen, the script and yet another cup of tea I listen and am astounded by it all. Trisha might suggest something to Victoria who will then take on board what Trisha has said and either go with it or not. Either way, there is a massive amount of mutual respect. And open mindedness. In a world where we must make snap decisions and stick by them whether we like them or not, I feel very privileged to be part of this play where every avenue is explored, every stone unturned, where things can be thought about and discussed openly and in lots of detail.

Believe me, the play is and will be all the richer for it. H

1 comment:

  1. It's great to have an insight into the rehearsal process like. I can't wait to see the production, Keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete