Thursday 17 March 2011

Loud Irish heckler- you know who you are. And please return the 7up.


We have a busy stretch of touring coming up. It looms on the horizon like an evening haze against an orange, dying sun.

To be honest, I'm not too fussed. It's just that within the space of about ten days we have about 6 get ins to do, many miles to be travelled and much unhealthy food to be guzzled down us. At this point in the tour I start eating in Wetherspoons which is NEVER a good sign although I'm sure Zac would beg to differ. The set went up nicely in Bracknell partly because we had a day to get in with no show in the evening to taunt us and put us under pressure. It means things don't need to be so rushed. We then had a lovely evning off which Zac and myself spent at mine whilst Meg went back to London. I watched Waking The Dead with my Mum; I have to say, it was pretty ridiculous. Something to do with scary couples appearing in funeral attire. Odd.

The actors then arrived the next morning as we opened with a matinee performance. This is unusual in itself. What was more unusual, however, was that only 33 people turned up for it. It wasn't a great way to start in Bracknell but by the evening the audience figures were looking much more positive.

All around the stage there are curtains or masking which, obviously, prevents any backstage goings on from being viewed from the auditorium. At this venue (and for the first time ever), Alastair insists I hold the curtain for him whenever he goes on stage and then subsequently whenever he comes off. I think he imagines his entrances as some regal ceremony where as I just see it as a bit of a chore to be honest. No-one else in the cast requires quite this much attention.

We had another vocal member in the audience last night. Although this time we know him. He was in Journey's End. The one who brought in the food- remember him? Adam Best is his name and ridiculous, over the top laughing is his game. Well, I say laughing. It's more a short outburst of noise. It caused all sorts of problems on stage. And when Zac, Meg and myself did the interval change (in full view of the audience as there is no safety curtain here) Adam insisted on shouting my name every 2 minutes as I wiped down the stove and reset the flowers. He might have said a rude word at some point but I may have imagined that. Excitement.

See you soon and wish me luck. x

No comments:

Post a Comment